Work. Experience. Discover.
IAESTE is an international association that organizes international internships primarily for students in STEM disciplines (science, engineering, architecture, and math), business, and other professional fields. In each country, there is a National Committee (NC) as well as a number of local committees (LC). The National Committee is in charge of the entire country’s operations, whereas the local committees are student groups at universities throughout the country. These committees work together to ensure IAESTE Canada is functioning efficiently. The main role of the Local Committees is to encourage Canadian employers to participate in the IAESTE program. Since the IAESTE system is based on a direct exchange, the more international students we can bring into Canada means the more Canadian students we can send abroad.
Overall, IAESTE is a great way to meet people in your country as well as internationally. It encompasses it’s core values of professionalism, international cooperation and friendship in every way. Do you want to be apart of the IAESTE family? Contact us to find out how to get involved!
WORKING ABROAD WITH IAESTE
Am I eligible?
- Available for full time students at Canadian universities and colleges between 18 and 35 years old
- Studying science, engineering, business, applied arts, or other professional programs
- Undergraduate or graduate students
- Summer jobs, coop jobs, work abroad just after you graduate
IAESTE Internships are…
- In your field of study
- In over 80 countries around the world
- You are paid enough to cover your living expenses in the country of work
- 6 to 52 weeks long
- Social events and support from IAESTE in the country of work
How to apply?
- Register at iaeste.net as a student entering Canada as the IAESTE Committee.
- Pay the $100 Application fee through Paypal. This gives you access to the IAESTE Exchange Platform for 1 year from your payment date.
You have to register and pay the application fee before your account is verified and enabled.
Once you’re account is enabled
- You can now view available offers.
- If you see an offer you want to apply for email email@example.com with the offer Reference Number
- If you receive a placement you will also be required to pay a $450 placement fee
- If you are registered on December 15, 2017 you may also be nominated to apply for a pool of international placements reserved for Canadian students
Here’s a detailed guide – IAESTE Student EP Instructions
- Why is there a $100 fee to join?
The IAESTE Exchange Platform job board is only available to students who register and pay the fee. If the Exchange Platform was available to everyone, then everyone would apply to these positions, wether or not they were serious about going abroad. A lot of students change their mind about internships and end up staying in Canada for the summer based on personal preference. We want to make sure that those students who are applying to these positions are serious about going abroad. The $100 fee gives you access to the Exchange Platform for up to one year, as long as you are a student or recent graduate.
- Can I choose my country?
By trying to choose your country, you will truly limit your options. The IAESTE premise focuses more on work experience that is relevant to your area of study. It is best to choose a job that suits you, rather than a country that suits you! However, you can of course limit yourself to one country – there is just no guarantee a job will be there for you.
- What kind of support does IAESTE offer to students?
In your home country, IAESTE Canada will help you with your nomination package, applying for your visa, and other administration tasks. Be sure to reach out to your nearest Local Committee if you’d like to talk to a fellow student about IAESTE. In your placement country, that IAESTE Committee will usually assist with lodging, organizing social events and answering any questions you may have about that country.
- Do I need to upload an official transcript or is unofficial okay?
It is perfectly fine to upload an official transcript for your student profile. However, in order to submit an application to an international employer, an official transcript is required. This may take time, so it is in your best interest to have the official transcript handy!
- How many students go abroad? How can I increase my chances?
This number varies from year to year. In 2017 IAESTE Canada was able to send 30 students abroad. the IAESTE program is based on a direct exchange system – this means for every job we raise here in Canada, we are able to send one Canadian student abroad. If you want to raise your chances, you can volunteer with us and help raise jobs! Contact your Local Committee (LC) for more information. Can’t seem to find your school? Contact IAESTE Canada to start one today!
- When will I see jobs on the job board?
Open Offers are posted on the Exchange Platform all year round, however majority of the jobs can be seen after the Annual Conference (AC). The Annual Conference (AC) is hosted in January each year. There is also a large amount of jobs available starting in late March and into May.
- What is the difference between an Open Offer (COBE) and an Annual Conference offer (AC)?
An open offer is posted on the Exchange Platform at any time of the year. The open offers are posted to all the countries in the IAESTE network. Although only one student will be nominated from Canada, it is possible for students from all around the world to apply as well. This means, open offers are more competitive, but not impossible! An Annual Conference offer (AC) is posted after the Annual Conference (AC) in late January. These positions are only available to Canadian students, and only one student is nominated at a time.
- What is Annual Conference (AC)?
The Annual Conference (AC) occurs in different designations around the world every year during the month of January. During the fall semester, each LC is working tirelessly to find Canadian employers to participate in the IAESTE program. In January, each country’s National Committee (80+ across the world) attend the conference. They all come with the job offers they have raised in their home countries. The conference is primarily for trading these positions. IAESTE Canada will then come back with the jobs from abroad, and post them to the Exchange Platform! You will see them early February.
- Why is there a deadline to apply? Can I still register after the deadline?
The deadline to apply is to allow the IAESTE Canada National Committee to know what kind of jobs they are to bring back from Annual Conference (AC). Of course you can still register after the deadline, but you’d be taking more of a gamble for available positions. It is in your best interest to register on time to ensure IAESTE Canada can find a position best suited for you!