IAESTE Canada finds well-qualified international students to work for Canadian employers.
There is no fee to IAESTE Canada for Canadian employers who make job offers open to IAESTE international students. IAESTE is able to facilitate the students’ work permits through our status as an International Experience Canada Recognized Organization.
There is a fee for “reserved offers,” which are offers made to a specific international student (when employers require help with acquiring a work permit). The fee is $400 per offer for non-profit organizations and $600 for all others.
To qualify for the IAESTE program, positions must:
- Be professional positions related to the student’s field of study.
- Pay at least minimum wage in the province of work. (New – starting Sept 1, 2017)
- Be between 8 and 52 weeks in length. Internships may start at any time of year.
International student employees are:
- Full-time students who are studying science, engineering, technology or architecture at reputable educational institutions around the world
- Well-qualified, highly motivated, enthusiastic and adventurous
Canadian employers also benefit from:
- the ability to meet short-term staffing requirements.
access to potential future employees through the IAESTE Alumni Network, which includes Canadian professionals who have participated in the program and returned to Canada with the advantage of having overseas experience and contacts.
an opportunity to develop contacts with young professionals from other countries, as international students return home with a good understanding of your workplace and of Canadian technology.
- the chance to play a role in the global community. Canadian students gain an opportunity to work abroad and international students gain the opportunity to work in Canada (the program is reciprocal).
What IAESTE does:
- screens applications and selects the most qualified candidate meeting the specifications indicated by the employer.
- arranges the necessary work permit and Social Insurance Number (once the employer has approved the nomination).
- assists employees with arrival arrangements (employees pay their own travel costs).
- ensures employees have health and accident insurance for their entire stay in Canada (employees pay their own insurance costs).
What the employer does:
- completes the IAESTE job offer form indicating the type of employment offered and detailing the specifications of the student(s) required.
- reviews candidate nomination(s) submitted by IAESTE Canada. After the Exchange Conference in late January, the sending IAESTE Committee screens applicants and sends us the file of the applicant they feel is best suited to your job offer for your consideration. You will be sent the complete details of the applicant, with a proposed start and finish date, for your approval.
- provides student with a salary that meets provincial employment standards and covers living costs.
Work Permit/Employment Authorization
IAESTE Canada is a Recognized Organization with International Experience Canada (IEC), a Citizenship and Immigration Canada program. IAESTE Canada provides instructions for employers and students to apply for the work permit through IEC as an IAESTE trainee. The work permit will be entered in their passport on entry. This permit will allow them to obtain a Canadian Social Insurance Number after arrival and to determine their tax status at Services Canada.