IAESTE Students from Abroad

The following information is for international students who have been accepted to an offer of employment in Canada. If you are a student seeking employment in Canada, you must apply to the IAESTE Committee in your own country. See IAESTE member countries for contact information.

Welcome Incoming IAESTE Students

We hope that you enjoy your stay in Canada and that your work experience is both interesting and valuable for your future career. You will have received your acceptance papers via your National IAESTE Committee. Please read them carefully.


Please apply immediately for your work permit. The processing of the work permit can take up to 10-12 weeks at peak periods so please submit your complete application to the Canadian authorities as soon as you can. You must have an approval number from the authorities before you enter Canada. This cannot be done after your arrival. If your permit has not been approved before you enter, you will be a tourist in Canada. Your status can not be changed and you will not be allowed to be in any work situation.

DO NOT LEAVE HOME BEFORE YOU RECEIVE YOUR PORT OF ENTRY (POE) INTRODUCTION LETTER (also called an LOI).  You may also require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

As soon as you receive your acceptance papers you should contact your employer. You should not buy an airline ticket until you and your employer have agreed on an arrival date.

The National Office will do its best to assist you in any way and you will also be provided with a list of Canadian contacts who have volunteered to be of assistance.

Your acceptance package provided information on obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You will need a SIN to be paid – you should apply to the nearest Services Canada office as soon as you arrive. Please mail your completed Arrival Notice to IAESTE Canada as soon as you receive your SIN. It will complete our file and also give us your contact information.

You will visit the nearest Revenue Canada office when you arrive to determine if tax is withheld from your salary. Note that there is no special rule for IAESTE participants. If you do have to pay tax, you should visit Revenue Canada before you leave Canada to see if you are entitled to any refund of tax paid.

The National Office in Kingston will do its best to assist you in any way and you will also be provided with a list of Canadian contacts who have volunteered to be of assistance.

IAESTE Volunteers

Most of the people on our volunteer list list have been IAESTE employees. In many cities, the Canadian contacts set up weekly meetings and, if you have not been contacted, please get in touch with the people in the area where you will be working. Remember that our volunteers are usually working full-time and the time they can spend on IAESTE varies. You should not expect to be picked up at the airport. You will also be provided with a list of other IAESTE employees working in your area.


All IAESTE employees who will be working at an Ontario University MUST enroll in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This coverage is compulsory for all non-Canadians working on an Ontario campus (see http://www.uhip.ca/). You will receive a brochure with your acceptance papers. All other employees must arrange full medical coverage before they leave their home country.

What to Bring

The following is a list of things that you should bring with you to Canada:

Information on Living and Working in Canada